My Five Favourite Essential Oils for Weight Loss


One of the questions I am always asked about essential oils is "are there any that can help with weight loss or sugar cravings". 

It seems to be something that troubles a lot of people. With sugar filled food available at every possible turn, and often cheaper and convenient that a healthy alternative, it becomes so easy to become addicted. And with addiction comes the inevitable weight gain. 

I'm the absolute worst at controlling my eating habits. Even though I have cut out fried food and most takeaways, the additions to my core diet are the ones that cause me to gain weight. 

The sugar addiction is difficult to shake, no matter how hard I try, and I can easily eat an entire packet of biscuits in one sitting without too much trouble. 

I also find that being in stressful situations, or that time of the month, cause me to reach for the chocolate without any restraint. 

So here are my five favourite essential oils for helping with unwanted weight gain:


Bergamot:

Bergamot is one of the citrus oils and it's a fabulous essential oil for reducing those sugar cravings. You can add it to your normal tea, and get instant Earl Grey. 

Bergamot is also a great essential oil as it is able to be both uplifting and calming, making it ideal to deal with anxious and sad feelings. 

Bergamot would be a great oil to have around if you begin to eat more when you are stressed. 




Cinnamon Bark:

If you eat because of blood sugars that rise and fall rapidly, or if you need digestive support, then Cinnamon Bark is the essential oil for you. 

Cinnamon Bark was shown in studies to lower the fasting glucose level of patients with type 2 diabetes (source) and so it's a great essential oil to help your body to stabilise and regulate blood sugar. 

Cinnamon Bark is a hot oil, so it must be diluted before it is applied to the skin. I personally find Cinnamon Bark to be too hot an oil for me to take internally, so I apply it topically to the bottom of the feet. 


If the movement and changing hormone levels during your cycle send you straight to the biscuit cupboard, Clary Calm can help. 

Clary Calm is doTERRA's women's monthly blend and it's made up of essential oils that have been traditionally used to balance hormones and manage symptoms of PMS and the transitional phases of menopause. 

A topical blend of Clary Sage, Lavender, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Fennel, Carrot Seed, Palmarosa, and Vitex, ClaryCalm provides temporary respite from cramps, nausea, hot flashes, and the emotional swings sometimes associated with regular hormone cycles in women.

I use it every day, applied to the ankles (the reflexology points for the reproductive system). I find that when the time of the month rolls around, my usual overwhelming cravings for sugar are much more subdued. 

Don't get me wrong, I still partake in some inhaling of sugar, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I can actually say no to an offered biscuit, or stop myself from eating an entire 500ml tub of ice cream. Who knew! 



Slim and Sassy:

Slim and Sassy is doTERRA's metabolic blend. combines powerful essential oils known for their detoxifying qualities to promote weight loss in a natural and healthy way. 

Slim & Sassy helps manage hunger throughout the day while boosting metabolism and promoting a positive mood. 

Slim & Sassy contains Grapefruit and Lemon, both of which have a high limonene content to help purify and cleanse the body while Peppermint, Ginger, and Cinnamon provide a stimulating and positive effect on the endocrine system to assist with weight loss.

Adding one or two drops of Slim and Sassy to a large glass of water before meals can help your body to control appetite and over eating. It can also be consumed before a workout for a revitalising energy boost. 

Slim and Sassy also comes in a trim shake formula for those looking for meal replacement shakes, with the benefit of the Slim and Sassy essential oil blend. 




Grapefruit:

Grapefruit is my personal favourite essential oil to add to water. It gives it a subtle flavour, which makes water so much more drinkable, and it does help to curb my sugar cravings, which are numerous and pretty strong!

Grapefruit essential oil is also great at supporting a healthy metabolism and when added to coconut oil and massaged into the skin, it can even help the body's lymphatic system. 

Grapefruit essential oil is the oil to use if you tend to snack when you are tired, as it helps to reduce mental and physical fatigue. 


So here are my five favourite essential oils to assist with weight loss. I think I fall into all of these categories at one stage or another! 


If you are interested in doTERRA essential oils, click here for details on how to get started!

Please join my Facebook group on essential oils and like my Facebook page to be kept up to date on my latest blog posts. 

Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, psychological, or psychiatric problem, or a disability that requires medical attention, then you should consult your licensed medical doctor or appropriate health care provider. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.


Comments

Popular Posts